Friday, June 25, 2010

glitterati

Rings of smoke lit the claustrophobic dark.
Entangled hair, in speckled white,
with droopy eyes on the bench she sat.
Crouching beside, clutching her tight,
my despair filled eyes yearned for light.
Resting against her chest I glanced,
but relishing her puffs, she was lost in a trance.
Swallowing my tears, eyelids shut tight,
I struggled to erase this sight.
But alas!
Tak tak, at the door was a tap
“It can’t be him”, but I knew he was back.
‘do minute jaan’ she mumbled as she rose,
extinguishing the beedi with her toes.
Red, Green, Yellow sparkled bright,
as the evil night came to life.
Sequences adorned her chest,
bells tinkled around her vest.
Bloody red lined her lips,
Pink rouge smudged her cheeks,
in kohl lined eyes hid pain and grief.
The ribbon held all hair straight,
bedecked in jewels, all seemed exuberant
but her face.
Drawing the curtains, she glanced at me,
her smile told me it was time to leave.
A peck on my cheek, she led me to the door
as her bangles cried galore.
The door slammed on my back.
The last I heard was a resonating slap.
I kept running down the path as my MOTHER
embraced the inclement dark.








No comments:

Post a Comment